[OmniOS-discuss] combo storage/virtualization server

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Aug 9 13:54:15 EDT 2012

On 8/9/2012 8:16 AM, Eric Sproul wrote:

> To be clear, IPS isn't the problem.  OmniOS uses IPS but delivers a
> much-reduced set of packages.  The issue is the decisions made about
> how to group individual pieces of software together, and how tightly
> to couple them.  OI is, in large part, identical to OpenSolaris in
> this respect, maintaining the majority of the incorporations that
> caused us to go a different way.

Granted, but OTOH, it is the design and feature set of IPS that allows
that to happen :). I guess I can't say at this point how much of my
annoyance over IPS was inherent and how much was due to how OpenSolaris
used it, but I recall being highly annoyed working with it when I was
evaluating OpenSolaris 8-/.

Overall, it struck me as overengineered and unnecessarily complicated.
Unless I missed something, you have to spin up a networked package
repository just to install a single package on one box locally, which
just seems wrong.

Hopefully the less complicated use in OmniOS won't be as much trouble to
deal with :). Given the relatively sparse availability of aftermarket
packages with OmniOS, I was thinking I might try to get Joyent's pkgsrc
system working on top of it, leaving IPS just for the base OS packages.

Thanks...