[OmniOS-discuss] Can we participate ?

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Mon Aug 20 10:19:30 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Frédéric Alix
<frederic.alix at fredalix.com> wrote:
> During these last weeks, i clone omnios IPS depot and test zones creation.
> I like very much this distribution.

That's great to hear, welcome!

> Now, i contact all my sysadmin friends for ask them to boot OmniOS on
> different servers like HP DL380, Tyan servers, SuperMicro,… and build an
> HCL.

There is an automatically-generated HCL at http://illumos.org/hcl/

It looks at the Illumos source for supported devices and
cross-references them with the PCI ID Database.  Since OmniOS is based
on Illumos, generally anything that Illumos supports, OmniOS does as
well.  Exceptions to this may be for very recent hardware, for which
preliminary support exists in the tip of illumos-gate but which has
not yet been pulled into OmniOS's own copy of Illumos.

> how can i contribute to your project ?
> Is it possible? In past, i was participated to translate English OpenSolaris
> install documentation into French.
> I would like participating to documentation part and evangelize OmniOs into
> my country.

Documentation would be most welcome.  Most of the work will likely be
in the Illumos core, things like man pages and such.
https://www.illumos.org/projects/documentation would be a place to
start.  However, if you are a PHP admin (or know anyone who is),
adding support for non-English languages to mtrack (the project/wiki
software that powers omnios.omniti.net) would be great as well.  It
would probably involve getting PHP to search for wiki pages with
extensions matching the language requested, with fall-back to the
default English page if it does not exist.  mtrack is at
https://bitbucket.org/wez/mtrack

Once again, welcome to the community!
Eric