[OmniOS-discuss] Packages for OminOS??

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Mon Dec 10 16:21:10 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM,  <steve at linuxsuite.org> wrote:

>   Howdy!
>
>        I am considering using OmniOS for a ZFS storage backend. I currently
> have installed OpenIndiana, but now think that OminiOS may be a better
> choice. A quick question - Are there OminOS packages for lighttpd and rsync
> in repositories so that I can just do "pkg install lighttpd" ?  I couldn't
> find
> any?? or do I have to build packages locally?

Hi Steve,
There is an rsync package in the official OmniOS repo, though it isn't
installed by default.  There is a lighttpd package in the
ms.omniti.com repo ("omniti/server/lighttpd").  See
http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Packaging for repo details.

Note that the ms.omniti.com repo is not an officially-supported part
of OmniOS.  We use those packages internally in our operations, and
leave them open for public use, but we don't offer any type of support
if you choose to run them.

Someone else may have set up a repo for their own build of lighttpd,
and there's also the pkgsrc route, if that's interesting to you:
http://www.perkin.org.uk/posts/pkgsrc-2012Q3-packages-for-illumos.html

Eric