[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS file layout & package names vs OpenIndiana

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Fri Nov 2 09:40:31 EDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Jason J. W. Williams
<jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does OmniOS diverge substantially from OpenIndiana in terms of base
> filesystem layout and IPS package names? Trying to determine how much of our
> Chef recipes we'd have to update to make the switch.

Hi Jason,
Since both OmniOS and OI are based on illumos, most of the packages
and therefore the filesystem layout will be the same.  Where we
diverge is the additional packages we each bring to complete the
distro.  There isn't a conscious effort to keep those package names
the same, though there is a lot of overlap.

Hope this helps,
Eric