[OmniOS-discuss] Whither 64bit system perl?

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Mon Nov 5 09:13:51 EST 2012

To be clear it is part of the release, it just isn't installed by
entire.  Nothing needs it.  Gcc is another great example of something
that we need, but isn't installed without specific user request.

I'd personally prefer for both perl and java to not be in the release
at all and let people install them.  In fact we don't use the system
perl for much of anything here.. instead we have
http://pkg.omniti.com/omniti-perl/en/index.shtml

It's a separate repository just for perl stuff that allow that
ecosystem to evolve at its own pace.

But, as long as perl does last in release, you'll be able to get it
(or depend on it) at runtime/perl-<version>-64

As a note bloody was juts bumped to 5.16.1.  I think if you want
_your_ version of perl, keeping  it separate is the right approach.

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Bryan Horstmann-Allen
<bdha at mirrorshades.net> wrote:
> I'd prefer to just have both 32/64 Perl in base, if Perl is in base at all. For me, that's least surprise.
>
> Creates precedence, too. If you add node to base, how will you handle it?
> --
> bdha
>
> On Nov 4, 2012, at 13:16, Eric Sproul <esproul at omniti.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Bryan Horstmann-Allen
>> <bdha at mirrorshades.net> wrote:
>>> Oh, very nice. Thanks!
>>>
>>> Was confused by 64bit kstats. :)
>>
>> Yeah all the Sun::Solaris stuff comes in a single package, both 32-
>> and 64-bit.  Perhaps that should depend on both 32- and 64-bit
>> runtimes (which defeats the purpose of having split runtimes) or we
>> should split out the 64-bit sun-solaris modules into a matching
>> package that depends on perl-5142-64.
>>
>> Eric

Theo Schlossnagle

http://omniti.com/is/theo-schlossnagle