[OmniOS-discuss] no headers in default install?

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Mon Nov 19 10:11:16 EST 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:
> On the current stable, it looks like the compiler is part of the default
> install, but not header files or utilities like ar?
>
> From a minimization perspective, I guess I could see not including any
> dev tools as part of the base install, but including a compiler but not
> the pieces that make it work seems inconsistent.

No dev tools are supposed to be installed by default.  It looks like
we picked up this dependency via some of the illumos-gate packages:

$ pkg search -H -r -o pkg.name 'depend::developer/gcc44'
system/library/storage/fibre-channel/libsun_fc
system/fru-id
system/management/intel-amt
service/network/nis
system/network/nis
audio/audio-utilities

A spot-check of some of these packages shows that it's
libgcc_s/libstdc++ that is causing the dependency.  Those are supposed
to come from system/library/gcc-4-runtime and
system/library/g++-4-runtime, respectively.  My guess is that
pkgdepend incorrectly identified the dependencies for these packages.
We'll need to dig a bit more, but I imagine we'll be able to fix this
by updating the dependency in the existing packages (I don't think
we'll actually need to re-roll anything.)

> What are thoughts on including dev tools in the base install? If it's a
> yes, maybe the other pieces could come along for the ride? If a no,
> perhaps the compiler should be pulled out to decrease confusion? If the
> latter, it would be nice to have a meta package that pulls everything in
> (maybe there already is one)? So far I've installed system/header,
> math/header-math, and developer/object-file to get something compiled,
> I'm probably still missing pieces that nothings needed yet :).

I don't think dev tools belong in a default install, but it should be
easier to obtain the basics.  As a reference the omnios-build system
has a list in the BasicRequirements() function:

http://omnios.omniti.com/file.php/core/omnios-build/lib/functions.sh?rev=7949acbf16edfb6d09efd339b426c455d30c14dc&jump=branch%3Ar151004#l150

We could do a "convenience package" that would pull in all the right
things to make it easier to get started.  Would that meet your needs?

Eric