[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS on Xeon ?

Denis Cheong denis at denisandyuki.net
Sun Sep 30 17:38:07 EDT 2012

amd64 refers to the instruction set, not the CPU brand (64-bit x86 was
originally introduced by AMD and then copied by Intel, hence it is called
amd64).  The E5405 is 64-bit capable, and the X2250 is supported by
OpenSolaris and Solaris 10, so it should work without any issues (going
back to 32 bit is not the answer).

I would check -
1. 64-bit support being enabled in BIOS
2. Reset BIOS to default configuration
3. Remove any weird devices
4. Startup with verbose kernel option
5. Try booting with OpenSolaris / Solaris 10 to ensure it's not a separate
hardware issue (memory, etc.).

I have my system running on a Xeon E5-2603 with few problems (Solaris 11
does not boot on this machine due to unsupported chipset) and many others
also use Xeon processors with no issues.