[OmniOS-discuss] [discuss] Re: Irregularly scheduled SSD survey :)

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Apr 11 14:54:05 EDT 2013

On 4/9/2013 3:26 PM, Chris Nagele wrote:

> We have used both DDRDrive and ZeusRAM and will never go back to an
> SSD for zil.

I think I'd be leaning that way too if I were building something at my
day job where we have an enterprise budget :), but for my home office
I'm already spending too much <sigh>.

> For cache, we tend to use cheaper SSDs like Crucial M4. You just
> have to keep an eye on firmware updates and degradation.

Do you update them in place in the server, or yank them out and do the
firmware upgrades on a separate box? It would seem annoying to have to
reboot the server into an update ISO, would that even work for a drive
on a SAS controller?

> We tried the Samsung 830's but there is some issue with the ID where
> it can only see one at a time. Not sure if that was fixed.

I think that was only an issue for SAS, for my purposes this deployment
the rpool/l2arc drives would be connected to SATA.