[OmniOS-discuss] to swap or not to swap

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Apr 18 14:41:16 EDT 2013

I'm just about ready to deploy the home storage server I've been working
on for a while, and am trying to decide what do about swap. The box has
12 3TB drives configured as two 6 disk raidz2 vdevs and will have about
300G of L2ARC. Right now it has 32G of memory. I ended up deciding to
have a separate virtualization server so this one is pretty much only
going to do file service via CIFS/NFS.

The rpool is going to be an SSD mirror, I don't know that I want to put
swap on it. Technically, you can run illumos with no swap at all, but
somehow that just feels wrong :). I suppose a box with 32G of memory is
in better shape than one with 16G of ram and 16G of swap... The third
option would be to put the swap volume on the data pool, but I'm not
sure if there are any issues with swap on a raidz2 pool.

Any thoughts?

Thanks…