[OmniOS-discuss] LZ4 compression issue heads up

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 18:24:03 EDT 2013

On 04/19/2013 12:15 AM, Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> He also provided some updated information later explaining how this issues
> comes up in case of specific advanced DTrace scripts, and that users would
> not otherwise get affected.

This turned out not to be quite accurate. When using lockstat Matthew
Ahrens could get this to trigger (lockstat is implemented using DTrace).
How "bad" the issue is, I guess, depends on perspective. I'm using LZ4
in production now without a hitch. However, the issue is significant
enough that I might be willing to do a reboot to have it fixed.

In any case a patch is awaiting approval for upstreaming. It fixes the
problem and even provides a slight performance improvement tweak (for
compensation, I guess).

Cheers,
--
Saso