[OmniOS-discuss] Panic when shutting down vmware guest with tools installed

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 13:25:24 EDT 2013

On 04/23/2013 06:59 PM, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
>> On 04/23/2013 05:45 PM, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
>>>
>>> It was illumos bug #3326.  It was closed since I had deleted the dump
>>> (no
>>> activity for 4 months...)  I will repro this and see about getting it
>>> reopened...
>>
>> Just read through the mail trail on this and it's definitely something
>> Illumos people should take a look at. If you could upload the crash dump
>> to the original address (or a new one), I promise to take a look at it.
>
> I updated illumos bug #3326 with dump location.  Thanks!

Thanks for the crash dump.
(I'm not any good at this, but here goes) my observations so far:

 1) Your kernel stack seems totally trashed. The panic thread's stack
    looks like this:
ffffff0008b7ec40 fffffffffbc2eb40                0   0  60                0
  PC: panicsys+0x109    THREAD: 0xfffffffff8508958()
  stack pointer for thread ffffff0008b7ec40: ffffff0008b7e8d0
    cpus()

    I'm still looking for the relevant portions of the kernel code, but
    this seems quite deep.

 2) I've got an OmniOS r151004 machine running on ESXi 5.1 with VMware
    tools installed and I can't see this problem (I can reboot without
    trouble). Are you sure this occurs because of VMware tools? Can you
    install a clean copy of OmniOS and verify?

Cheers,
--
Saso