[OmniOS-discuss] Supermicro X9SRI-F NMI

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Apr 23 14:30:57 EDT 2013

On 4/23/2013 7:43 AM, Eric Sproul wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:
>> After a rather painful ordeal, I tracked this issue down to a bios setting.
>> If "Event logs->Change smbios event log settings->PCI Error Logging Support"
>> is set to Enabled, the OS wedges on NMI. If not, it works fine. A supermicro
>> tech support engineer is trying to reproduce it in their lab.
>
> Wow, nice work Paul!  What led you to try changing that setting?

Supermicro tech support was not able to reproduce the problem, which was
frustrating. At some point I realized they were probably testing with
the bios defaults, whereas I had changed a few settings. I reset the
bios back to defaults, and the problem went away. After that, it was
just a matter of isolating which of the settings I had changed resulted
in the problem. For some reason, the default bios settings disable PCI
PERR and SERR reporting, as well as disable PCI error logging. On the
general principle of if an error happens, I want to know about it, I had
enabled those while reviewing the bios settings. Maybe the defaults have
it disabled because the bios engineer realized it was broken and didn't
want to fix it ;).