[OmniOS-discuss] [ANN] 0.5.0 of qemu-toolkit released

Kaspar Schiess kaspar.schiess at technologyastronauts.ch
Fri Apr 26 11:56:12 EDT 2013

Hi!

I've just released 0.5.0 of qemu-toolkit.

qemu-toolkit is a small collection of tools to help with running virtual
machines on Illumos/OmniOS.
(http://kschiess.bitbucket.org/qemu-toolkit/README.7.html)

Here are some of the changes we've made:
   + 'boot' configuration option for specifying the boot order of the
virtual
     machine.
   + 'nic' option now optimises the virtio driver for throughput.
   + Allows access to the built-in DHCP server for setting IP addresses
from
     the configuration file. See the 'nic' option.
   + Matches MAC addresses of vnics created; this matters for some of
the
     optimisations. In the future, we'll also allow random mac addresses
     generated by the OS.
   + 'keyboard_layout' option for defining the layout for VNC
connections
   + Support for a 'lib'-directory in /etc for helper functions
   + Support for using Ruby libraries in VM definitions
   * Now uses /dev/zvol/rdsk to access volumes, yielding a 2-10 times
     performance boost.

We're running this in our lab for all kinds of client work (from
websites to machines crunching numbers 24/7) and have never been happier
with a virtualization solution. qemu-toolkit is running KVM machines
without all the cloud bogus.

Hope you like it as much! Contributions are welcome!
kaspar