[OmniOS-discuss] mpt_sas wedge

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Dec 10 04:13:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 01:45:46PM -0800, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> make sure I don't get any more errors. Is it a pretty sure bet that the disk
> is going bad, or should I take the time/trouble to pull it out and run
> diagnostics on it on a separate machine before RMA'ing it?

Definitely a bad disk, I yanked it out and stuck it in a linux box to
test, it immediately failed a short smart test:

Self-test execution status:      ( 116) The previous self-test completed having
                                        the read element of the test
					failed.
[...]
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining LifeTime(hours)  LBA _of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       40%      1445 # 3655496

Submitting an advance RMA request through Western Digital was pretty
painless, hopefully the replacement will show up shortly. Other than the
controller failing and requiring a hard reboot about what I'd expect
from a dead drive...