[OmniOS-discuss] OT: Similar hardware like MIcroserver Gen8

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Dec 24 21:03:39 UTC 2013

On 12/23/2013 3:37 AM, Saso Kiselkov wrote:

> I'm quite fond of WD Red drives. They are just marginally more expensive
> than your el-cheapo home drive, but are built for 8760 on hours per year
> (24x7) and are capable for throttling down to 5400rpm when not in use
> (so they suck less power). WD markets them as designed for use in NAS.

Do you have an authoritative source for the WD Red drives actually
spinning at variable rates? From what I've read, while the actual rpm
might vary between models, any given model only spins at a constant rpm,
thought to be somewhere between 5000-5900. WD isn't exactly clear as to
what exactly "Intellipower" means 8-/...

I have been pretty happy with my 3TB WD reds so far…