[OmniOS-discuss] Lftp package

Chris Nehren cnehren at omniti.com
Thu Feb 14 12:40:32 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:52:49 -0500 , Chris Nehren wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:31:57 +0530 , Ram Chander wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently there is no lftp package in the omnis repository. . Can we please
> > add this ?
> > Csw version of lftp doesnt work and hangs.
>
> From my FreeBSD machine:
>
> $ pkg info -d lftp
> lftp-4.4.1 depends on:
> expat-2.0.1_2
> gettext-0.18.1.1
> libiconv-1.14
>
> $
>
> All of these packages exist either in core OmniOS or in the omniti-ms
> publisher (which OmniTI maintains). This suggests that the dependencies
> are in place for lftp. A pain point, however, may be that lftp is
> written in C++. You should be able to install the dependencies listed
> above and at least give it a try using the instructions found here:
> http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/PackagingForOmniOS. Please feel free
> to ask questions about that document so that we can improve it.

Following on from this, I tried building it on my VPS before work this
morning and got pretty far. This is the only error I encountered:

/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --tag=CXX    --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I../lib -I../lib -I../trio       -O2 -Wall -Wwrite-strings
-Woverloaded-virtual -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fno-implement-inlines -MT
buffer.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/buffer.Tpo -c -o buffer.lo buffer.cc
buffer.cc: In member function ‘virtual void DataRecoder::PutTranslated(Buffer*,
const char*, int)’: buffer.cc:277:83: error: invalid conversion from ‘const
char**’ to ‘char**’ [-fpermissive] /usr/include/iconv.h:44:15: error:
initializing argument 2 of ‘size_t iconv(iconv_t, char**, size_t*, char**,
size_t*)’ [-fpermissive]

As the output suggests, using -fpermissive fixes the build. Once it's
built, it seems to actually work, too, suggesting there aren't any ABI
issues. I haven't had time to create a proper code patch, but at first
glance it appears to be a simple fix. I'll try to have a package
available tonight.

--
Chris Nehren
Site Reliability Engineer, OmniTI