[OmniOS-discuss] Fwd: Re: Repos

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue Jan 1 20:19:53 EST 2013

Oops, forgot to CC the list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [OmniOS-discuss] Repos
Date: 	Tue, 01 Jan 2013 19:45:15 -0500
From: 	Brian Hechinger <wonko at 4amlunch.net>
To: 	Denis Cheong <denis at denisandyuki.net>

On 1/1/2013 5:09 PM, Denis Cheong wrote:
> The ms is not really useful if you want stuff to 'just work' ...
> apache from ms takes a LOT of work to get running from the ms repository.

Actually, I found apache in ms to not be terribly hard to set up. My
main issue with ms is the lack of SMF bits.

> Personally, I suggest using opencsw - while Theo advises against this
> (for reasons I don't fully understand), the packages that come from
> there are far more complete and ready to run.

I'll take a look at it. At this point I'll take whatever I can find. sfe
and sfe-encumbered both ended up being useless as well.

Why isn't there a really useful IPS style repo out there?

> For other people who are as lazy as I am, I also suggest webmin which
> is downloadable as an installable package, but isn't in any
> repositories AFAIK.

Ick, webmin. :-P

-brian