[OmniOS-discuss] Repos

Denis Cheong denis at denisandyuki.net
Tue Jan 1 20:27:35 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Brian Hechinger <wonko at 4amlunch.net> wrote:

> On 1/1/2013 5:09 PM, Denis Cheong wrote:
>
>> The ms is not really useful if you want stuff to 'just work' ... apache
>> from ms takes a LOT of work to get running from the ms repository.
>>

> Actually, I found apache in ms to not be terribly hard to set up. My main
> issue with ms is the lack of SMF bits.

Apache from ms did not come with anything configured - the /www directory
structure where it stores everything isn't created, the config file doesn't
have any PHP in it, there are missing support programs (including ones that
are not even available) ... no docs means that you have to figure out all
this yourself.

SMF bits are there from ms, they are just not installed by default ... you
have to import them in (and of course there's no docs yet).  Not sure why
these packages only half-install them like that ... other than that because
they do not have a working configuration out of the box, installing them
into SMF would be premature - you have to finish doing the install manually
before there's any use installing the SMF entries.

 Personally, I suggest using opencsw - while Theo advises against this (for
>> reasons I don't fully understand), the packages that come from there are
>> far more complete and ready to run.
>>

> I'll take a look at it. At this point I'll take whatever I can find. sfe
> and sfe-encumbered both ended up being useless as well.
>
> Why isn't there a really useful IPS style repo out there?

It's early days I guess ... while I understand and appreciate that OmniOS
is 'minimalistic' in its base install, it would be nice to be able to say
with a few simple commands:  Create me a web server zone, and install
Apache with PHP and Zend, and have it be up and running with a working
configuration without needing to edit a single config file.

Likewise with "create me a MySQL server zone" ...

Lack of the ability to get working configs up and running easily is going
to hold back OmniOS from broader adoption IMHO...