[OmniOS-discuss] /var/svc/manifest dir purpose

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Thu Jan 31 09:53:32 EST 2013

Steve,
Indeed, /var/svc/manifest is an older location for manifest files.
With the introduction of the "system/early-manifest-import:default"
service a few years ago, that location was deprecated in favor of
/lib/svc/manifest.  The early importer runs before svc.startd and only
looks in /lib/svc/manifest, where the main manifest-import service
runs later and looks in both.  The reason that early-manifest-import
was added was that it was possible for an existing service whose
manifest had been updated to be started using the previous
configuration, as manifest-import was yet to run and discover the
updated manifest.

The reason dbus.xml is still in /var/svc/manifest is because it is one
of the additional components OmniOS adds to the illumos core
(system/library/dbus).  We should update our build script to deliver
the manifest into /lib/svc/manifest/system instead.

The situation is similar for /var/svc/profile.

Eric