[OmniOS-discuss] [smartos-discuss] Supermicro BIOS updates

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Jul 11 00:13:43 UTC 2013

On 7/8/2013 8:51 PM, Jon Dison wrote:
> That is a very common school-of-thought... If you're not experiencing
> trouble with your system, why go out and update the BIOS?  SuperMicro is
> just trying to protect their technically-challenged customers from
> damaging their systems by applying BIOS updates for no good reason.

Understood, it's just such a diametrically opposed school of thought
compared to some of the server vendors whose technical support asks you
if you have the latest version of bio/firmware/everything for any ticket
you open, and then don't want to help you until you update, even if the
updates likely have nothing to do with your problem <sigh>.

And then intentionally or not, the way supermicro expresses that school
of thought on their site induces fear of failure and broken equipment 8-/.

Thanks for the feedback...

> certain boards with certain BIOS revisions.  Sometimes you get an older
> board from a vendor and have to find an older chip to run the BIOS
> update so that you can install the newer chip.  Not a huge deal I know,
> but just kind of a pain.

Yeah; more of a pain if you're building a box at home and don't exactly
have a pile of spare processors sitting around :).