[OmniOS-discuss] Supermicro BIOS updates

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Jul 11 00:21:12 UTC 2013

On 7/9/2013 1:25 AM, Saso Kiselkov wrote:

> Get something like Boot Flash DOS (BFD.exe) and create a bootable USB
> stick in Windows.

Meh, involving Windows in the process ;)?

> and execute whatever monkey business you need to. I personally prefer a
> simple DOS flashing tool over some super-smart EFI clusterf**k any day
> of the week.

Although they have other faults, I've been pretty happy with
firmware/bios updates on my Sun servers, you can just use the bmc cli to
suck the update over via tftp, and it installs both the bmc/ipmi
firmware and the bios from one package.

I think I'm going to try using unetbootin to build a FreeDOS USB image
and see how that works out. I was originally going to use the virtual
media, but found a few horror stories about that flaking out in the
middle of flashing, which doesn't seem like a good thing to have happen
:(. It's not too much trouble to physically visit the machine and shove
in a USB stick.

Thanks…