[OmniOS-discuss] Switching to OpenSSH

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Mon Jul 15 13:48:34 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Carlos Cardenas <cardenas12 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm setting up OmniOS on a new machine and wanted to see how can I use the
> openssh pkg instead of the illumos version.
>
> I'm getting errors about openssh conflicting with ssh and how entire is
> dependent on it.

Hi Carlos,
This is very much a work-in-progress.  As I'm writing, I realize that
we don't have a ticket for it (there is an internal OmniTI task open,
but it should be transferred to an OmniOS ticket.)

The packaging situation is less important than discovering whether
stock OpenSSH is an acceptable drop-in replacement for SunSSH.  I
would love to see more people take a crack at running the stock
version in their environments so we can find out how well it works (or
doesn't).  SunSSH is pretty deeply embedded within illumos-gate, and I
think the biggest obstacle to updating or replacing it is the
(apparent) lack of qualified people to evaluate the ramifications of
any changes to, e.g. the privsep model, which is the biggest
difference from upstream OpenSSH.

Eric