[OmniOS-discuss] Server hang -- hardware or software

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Thu Mar 28 19:07:38 EDT 2013

Sun X2250 running bloody 2013_02_08.  Has an Intel 4 way GiB ethernet
card.

It hung hard yesterday and I wondered if anyone could advise on what
might be going on, as google throws up nothing relevant.  This message
appears on the console:

arl_dlpi_pending unsolicited ack for DL_UNITDATA_REQ on
e1000g2received unsolicited ack for DL_UNITDATA_REQ on e1000g3
received unsolicited ack for DL_UNITDATA_REQ on e1000g3
arl_dlpi_pending unsolicited ack for DL_UNITDATA_REQ on
e1000g1arl_dlpi_pending unsolicited ack for DL_UNITDATA_REQ on
e1000g2arl_dlpi_pending unsolicited ack for DL_UNITDATA_REQ on e1000g1

There is a screenshot at http://www.landcroft.co.uk/omniscreen.jpeg --
the hang happened several hours after the message from vboxdrv at
Mar 28 05:12:44 --- I know because I was sshing in at the time.

e1000g1 is one of the two built-in ethernet ports and is connected
to a Belkin hub/switch.  e1000g2 and e1000g3 are on the Intel ethernet
card and are connected directly via crossover CAT6 to two different
computers.  e1000g4 and e1000g5 are not used.  e1000g0 is connected to
a cable modem.

It seems significant that the three ports appearing in the message are
the three that are connected to computers on the local network here. I
wonder if maybe a power spike caused it;  although the whole system is
protected by surge protectors.

The hang was hard --- I had to press and hold the power button on the
machine to power cycle, so even ACPI wasn't working.

The question to this list is:  do I blame hardware and look at getting
a replacement machine, or could the OS have caused this ?

Thanks in expectation of the list's assistance.

Michael.