[OmniOS-discuss] NFS Datastore vmware esxi failover

Matt Weiss mweiss at cimlbr.com
Fri Nov 8 16:17:42 UTC 2013

I am working on a failover script using OmniOS as a NFS server.

According to VMware, if I mount and nfs datastore via its IP Address
then I should be able to move the IP around and still mount it, however
it is not working right.

For example:

On an ESXi instance (5.1U1) I mount the following NFS Datastore
172.16.50.100
/tank/vmrep
which amounts to a UUID of 6c0c1d0d-928ef591 in /vmfs/volumes

omni-rep1: 172.16.50.1
omni-rep2: 172.16.50.2

I am using zrep to failover my zfs dataset.
http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/zrep/zrep.documentation.html

Essential, it puts primary into read-only, does a zfs send/receive, then
sets the secondary to rw.

To expose my dataset (tank/vmrep) I am using sharenfs property of zfs. I
have created a virtual ip to use for this purpose.

#setnfsip.sh
ipadm create-addr -T static -a 172.16.50.100/24 vmxnet3s0/nfs

#removenfsip.sh
ipadm delete-addr vmxnet3s0/nfs

So, when I want to failover, I just do the following:

#!/bin/sh
#zfs unshare tank/vmrep
#sleep 5
/scripts/removenfsip.sh
sync
sleep 5
#zrep sync tank/vmrep
#sleep 5
#the following does the zfs snapshot/send/receive
zrep failover tank/vmrep
sleep 5
#ssh 172.16.50.2 /usr/sbin/zfs share tank/vmrep
#sleep 5
ssh 172.16.50.2 /scripts/setnfsip.sh

So, all goes well, omni-rep2 is now exporting tank/vmrep with NFS, it
has the 172.16.50.100 ip address, it is the exact replica of omni-rep1.

The problem is in ESXi the datastore goes inaccessable.  I can fail back
and the datastore comes back online like fine.  I can mount the nfs
datastore as a new one with the .100 ip on omni-rep2 so it is being
exported properly.

According to the last paragraph of this

https://communities.netapp.com/community/netapp-blogs/getvirtical/blog/2011/09/28/nfs-datastore-uuids-how-they-work-and-what-changed-in-vsphere-5

It should work, I have merely changed which host is broadcasting my
datastore's IP address.

I know a guy named saso? did some iScsi failover recently and noted it
worked with NFS.  I am just wondering what I am missing here.