[OmniOS-discuss] NFS Datastore vmware esxi failover

Matt Weiss mweiss at cimlbr.com
Fri Nov 8 18:08:42 UTC 2013

On 11/8/2013 11:36 AM, Saso Kiselkov wrote:
> On 11/8/13, 4:17 PM, Matt Weiss wrote:
>> I am working on a failover script using OmniOS as a NFS server.
>>
>> According to VMware, if I mount and nfs datastore via its IP Address
>> then I should be able to move the IP around and still mount it, however
>> it is not working right.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> On an ESXi instance (5.1U1) I mount the following NFS Datastore
>> 172.16.50.100
>> /tank/vmrep
>> which amounts to a UUID of 6c0c1d0d-928ef591 in /vmfs/volumes
>>

>> omni-rep1: 172.16.50.1
>> omni-rep2: 172.16.50.2
>>
>> I am using zrep to failover my zfs dataset.
>> http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/zrep/zrep.documentation.html
>>
>> Essential, it puts primary into read-only, does a zfs send/receive, then
>> sets the secondary to rw.
>>

>> To expose my dataset (tank/vmrep) I am using sharenfs property of zfs. I
>> have created a virtual ip to use for this purpose.
>>
>> #setnfsip.sh
>> ipadm create-addr -T static -a 172.16.50.100/24 vmxnet3s0/nfs
>>
>> #removenfsip.sh
>> ipadm delete-addr vmxnet3s0/nfs
>>

>> So, when I want to failover, I just do the following:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> #zfs unshare tank/vmrep
>> #sleep 5
>> /scripts/removenfsip.sh
>> sync
>> sleep 5
>> #zrep sync tank/vmrep
>> #sleep 5
>> #the following does the zfs snapshot/send/receive
>> zrep failover tank/vmrep
>> sleep 5
>> #ssh 172.16.50.2 /usr/sbin/zfs share tank/vmrep
>> #sleep 5
>> ssh 172.16.50.2 /scripts/setnfsip.sh
>>

>> So, all goes well, omni-rep2 is now exporting tank/vmrep with NFS, it
>> has the 172.16.50.100 ip address, it is the exact replica of omni-rep1.
>>
>> The problem is in ESXi the datastore goes inaccessable.  I can fail back
>> and the datastore comes back online like fine.  I can mount the nfs
>> datastore as a new one with the .100 ip on omni-rep2 so it is being
>> exported properly.
>>
>> According to the last paragraph of this
>>
>> https://communities.netapp.com/community/netapp-blogs/getvirtical/blog/2011/09/28/nfs-datastore-uuids-how-they-work-and-what-changed-in-vsphere-5
>>

>> It should work, I have merely changed which host is broadcasting my
>> datastore's IP address.
>>
>> I know a guy named saso? did some iScsi failover recently and noted it
>> worked with NFS.  I am just wondering what I am missing here.
> I haven't done NFS datastore failover from ESXi myself, but off the top
> of my head I guess what's going haywire here is that you're setting the
> dataset read-only before moving it over. Don't do that. Simply tear down
> the IP address, migrate the dataset, set up a new NFS share on the
> target machine and then reinstate the IP address at the target. ESXi
> [...]
I have experimented with
sharing / unsharing
leaving shared all the time
setting RO, RW
changing IP before/after etc
adding sleeps, syncs

So far all have the same result.  I believe the issue now lies with the
NFS state file.  I may be able to get away with migrating that file with
my failover script, but we will see.

Does anyone know how to change OmniOS NFS server parameters?  I would be
wanting to put the state files into the zfs dataset somewhere to perhaps
handle that.  Somehow I believe pacemaker takes care of this, so surely,
somehow NFS can be made to be a true failover.