[OmniOS-discuss] SuperStorage Server 6047R-E1R36L SAS Question

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Nov 11 14:28:16 UTC 2013

Hi Saso,

Today Saso Kiselkov wrote:

> On 11/11/13, 2:05 PM, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > We are looking at purchasing a new box. According to
> > https://github.com/joyent/manufacturing/blob/master/parts-database.ods
> > it seems that Joyent is using
> >
> > Supermicro SuperStorage Server 6047R-E1R36L with 7K3000 (and maybe
> > soon 7K4000) disks.
> > http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4u/6047/ssg-6047r-e1r36l.cfm
> >
> > We asked our system integrator for an offer on these boxes and he
> > said, that he has several in the field and they wer cool, BUT he
> > has seen problems with the on-board LSI 2308 and the backplane, and
> > that he would recommend installing 5 extra LSI SAS controllers to
> > directly connect each sas disk to a controller port ...
> >
> > Is this the reason that joyent lists all the firmware versions and
> > one should make sure to use exactly these versions ?
> >
> > Any ideas ?
>
> I may be completely off, but I see no reason why using LSI SAS chips
> installed on stand-alone extension cards is better than using the LSI
> SAS chip installed on the motherboard. I smell an attempt at upsell...

this system has a sas expander on the backplane, so that all 36
disks can be controlled from the single on-board LSI 2308

our integrater maintains that he has seen issues with the
LSI SAS2X28 expander on the backplane of the 6047R-E1R36L.

I did find some messages from 2012 that there were issues but
nothing recent.

cheers
tobi