[OmniOS-discuss] [smartos-discuss] SuperStorage Server 6047R-E1R36L SAS Question

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 15:04:14 UTC 2013

On 11/11/13, 10:56 PM, Keith Wesolowski wrote:
> The ZeusRAM costs something like $2000.  By the time you've purchased a
> SATA slog and 5 extra HBAs, you can't be far from that.  And the ZeusRAM
> was designed and developed specifically for this function -- not true of
> 99.9% or more of the SATA SSDs on the market.  It has all the desired
> attributes and is blazingly fast.  Perhaps most importantly, I don't
> worry too much about the firmware in the thing because STEC has a good
> track record with us.  I think we've had only 2 firmware bugs in 7 years
> or so.  Put all that together, and yeah I'd say it's well worth it.
> There's no way I'd use a SATA slog and a huge mess of DA HBAs instead.

Been running SATA SSDs for L2ARC with SATA/SAS interposers for a while
now without any issues. It's not ideal, but workable. One really has to
think of it as a trade off. If you want performance, no questions asked,
be prepared to drop the $2-4k for 1-2 ZeusRAMs per machine. For people
who are willing to compromise a little bit, you can still get decent
performance at about 1/4 of that price by using a pair of Intel DC S3700
200GB SSDs attached via interposers. YMMV.

Cheers,
--
Saso