[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS / SuperMicro motherboard and settings for IPMI SOL

Paul Jochum paul.jochum at alcatel-lucent.com
Wed Nov 13 01:53:12 UTC 2013

Thank you all, I got this to work.

Here are my notes, in case anyone else runs into this.

Motherboard: SuperMicro X9SRH-7TF
BIOS FW version: 3.00
IPMI FW version: 2.40

1) When running the sol1 interface, do not run the Java version of the
console at the same time.
2) When in doubt, reboot the IPMI.  Looks like the IPMI has a tendency
to hang, and a reboot (or a "Unit Reset" from the web interface) helps
to clear things up.

1) In the BIOS (most of these are defaults, but here for completeness,
and I can cut an paste from the console now :) ):
     Advanced -> Serial Port Console Redirection ->
                 Com1, Com2 and EMS Console Redirection should be disabled
                 SOL Console Redirection should be enabled
                     SOL Console Redirection Settings ->
                         Terminal Type [VT100+]
                         Bits per second [115200]
                         Data Bits [8]
                         Parity [None]
                         Stop Bits [1]
                         Flow Control [None]
                         VT-UTF8 Combo Key Support [Enabled]
                         Recorder Mode [Disabled]
                         Resolution 100x31 [Enabled]
                         Legacy OS Redirection Resolution [80x25]
                         Putty KeyPad [VT100]
                         Redirection After BIOS POST [Always Enable]

2) Once the system is booted, change the following files:
     /<zfs root pool>/boot/grub/menu.lst
                 Comment out the line splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

     /etc/ttydefs
                 replace the line "console:9600 hupcl opost
onlcr:9600::console"
                 with "console:115200 hupcl opost onlcr:115200::console"

     /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc
                 replace the line "setprop ttyc-mode 9600,8,n,1,-"
                 with "setprop ttyc-mode 115200,8,n,1,-"

                 replace the line "setprop console text"
                 with "setprop console ttyc"