[OmniOS-discuss] zfs and small files

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 14:37:55 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:

> We have this customer who loves to put tons of files into single
> directories.  The other day he found that removing a directory with
> 7k files from raidz2 pool (with ssd log device) took about 10
> minutes ...
>
> is this to be expected, or should this be faster on a properly
> configured system ?

That's a tiny number of files. Ought to be essentially instant.
I routinely have up to a million files in a directory. That can take
a few minutes to delete, but I don't have any SSDs at all on
those systems.

This isn't being done over NFS, is it? That can dramatically slow
operations like this, even with a log.

--
-Peter Tribble