[OmniOS-discuss] Oracle 11g/12c on OmniOS

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Nov 26 02:27:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 06:58:49PM +0000, Scott Roberts wrote:

> I tried installing X using pkgsrc using various instructions but never got
> it to actually start up an X server nor successfully pass the display back
> via SSH.

You don't need to get an X server running on the omnios box, that's what
actually displays the gui and is only needed on your client box. On the
omnios side you just need the X libraries. With ssh, you need to specify
XAuthLocation in sshd_config so sshd can find the xauth binary from
pkgsrc. I've never done it myself, but there have been successful
accounts on the list of forwarding X apps from an omnios server to a
local X display...