[OmniOS-discuss] console login : backspace not working

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Oct 14 17:19:39 UTC 2013

> On 2013-10-14 09:47, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> > the backspace key doesn't work at the
> > console login prompt.
> > any way to make it work?
>[...]
>
> Check to see if DEL or CTRL+H do the backspace action in the
> password/login prompt? Overall, I think this plagued Solaris
> like forever and apparently either nobody cared enough, or
> not much can be done (perhaps no terminal-type context is
> available before login?)

Try "stty erase <backspace> < /dev/console > /dev/console" in
some rc script...  maybe wrap it with a check using the tty command,
and only exec stty if tty does not return "not a tty".

Anyway, no big deal, nobody was ever bothered by that... :-)

Cheers -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"