[OmniOS-discuss] Microserver G8 : NIC not working.

Gmail Account obencandemir at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 13:19:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> > Thanks Eugen,
> >
> > I have indeed put an Intel in my N40L, but the G8 has an inbuilt dual NIC
> > Broadcom and only one PCI slot.
>
> Are you happy with the G8 so far? Is the onboard IPMI useful
> and stable?

The G8 is a fine small form server but still has some annoying issues. The
primary problem is the fan control in the BIOS has a bug which leads to
>30% fan speed at idle when you use AHCI mode on the disk controller. HP is
apparently aware of the issue and hopefully will release a fix soon.

The iLO 4 is very useful. It has a third dedicated NIC for this purpose and
it works very well. Remote console appears to work for non Windows OS
variably, but really requires an "Advanced" license to activate full
functions. I don't really need it for remote console as I use ssh, VNC and
X forwarding from my KVM virtual machines.

> I wanted to use the PCI for a HP P420 RAID controller and use passthrough
> > if it wasn't supported in OmniOS directly.
>
> I'm not sure the Microserver G8 does support hardware
> pass-through (VT-d). Have you put a Xeon into it?
>
> http://b3n.org/installed-xeon-e3-1230v2-in-gen8-hp-microserver/

Yes I have installed a Xeon 1265 in mine as well as 16GB ECC RAM.

In time it will make a fine machine, but I'm still getting it up to
production state through experimentation with various options. OmniOS would
be a very desirable one.