[OmniOS-discuss] next release : lesser gnu!

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Thu Oct 17 13:44:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at kathe.in> wrote:
> hi, been fiddling around with the system for less than
> a week, and found that there's an over-abundance of
> 'gnu' stuff in the base install (which is minimalistic).
> any particular reason why there's so much reliance on
> /usr/gnu/bin when there is already /usr/bin.

In short, we want people to have choices and to be able to use the
tools with which they are comfortable.  Solaris has long had multiple
sets of userland tools that conform to different standards (POSIX,
XPG4, XPG6, etc.) which is why there are places like /usr/xpg4,
/usr/xpg6, /usr/ucb and /usr/gnu.  illumos carries this onward.

Eric