[OmniOS-discuss] perl : only for pkg tools?

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Thu Oct 17 21:39:07 UTC 2013

perl is likely to stay, but the perl shipped in core is for use by core.
 We can change configuration and the version at any time.

If you really want perl to power your app, you should consider building
your own perl.

See:
http://pkg.omniti.com/omniti-ms/
http://pkg.omniti.com/omniti-perl/

For how we do it at OmniTI.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at kathe.in> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 02:52:00PM -0400, Eric Sproul wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at kathe.in>
> wrote:
> > > hi, is perl included in the base distribution only
> > > for supporting pkg tools?
> >
> > Most of the pkg toolkit is in Python, but:
> >
> > pkg search -r 'depend::runtime/perl'
> >
> > shows that quite a few things in upstream illumos do require perl.
>
> great, that means, perl is here to stay... :)

Theo Schlossnagle

http://omniti.com/is/theo-schlossnagle