[OmniOS-discuss] pkgsrc-2013Q3 binary packages for illumos now available

Jonathan Perkin jperkin at joyent.com
Wed Oct 23 08:55:30 UTC 2013

* On 2013-10-23 at 09:40 BST, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 09:27:26AM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > * On 2013-10-23 at 04:02 BST, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> >
> > > does this actually work under omnios?
> > > tried the 64-bit as well as multi-arch options, none of the stuff works.
> > > no error messages, nothing.
> >
> > Could you clarify on exactly what you are seeing?  At which point in
> > the instructions do things stop working?  If you don't see error
> > messages, do you at least see some output?  What is the return code of
> > the commands which appear to do nothing?  A full gist/pastebin of your
> > entire session would be helpful, as well as any *.log files under the
> > /var/db/pkgin directory.  Clear out /opt/local and /var/db/pkgin
> > before retrying to avoid any conflicts with an existing installation.
> >
> > The quick start tutorial works as expected for me on omnios-dda4bb3.
>
> Yes, i did mess up my system with all the fiddling and installs.
> did a fresh install, and the quick start tutorial instructions worked
> like a charm.

Ok, great.

> BTW, any reason why "sun-jdk6-6.0.26nbl" is over a 100MB?
> It's similar in size to what's available with Ubuntu Server 13.10.
> Compare those with "developer/java/jdk" @ 1.6.x being only 35.5MB under
> OmniOS stable (currently).

There are probably a couple things at play here:

  - The jdk package depends on the jre package, so the size given by
    pkgin will be the total for both.

  - In pkgsrc we do not split packages into separate runtime and
    developer components, which I believe IPS does.

Either way, I'd strongly recommend using the openjdk7 package instead,
the sun-jdk6 package is out of date and insecure due to Oracle's
change of licensing, and we only provide it for historical reasons.

Cheers,