[OmniOS-discuss] pkgsrc-2013Q3 binary packages for illumos now available

Mayuresh Kathe mayuresh at kathe.in
Wed Oct 23 16:16:01 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 03:55:46PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2013-10-23 at 15:05 BST, Chris Nehren wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 09:55:30 +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > >   - In pkgsrc we do not split packages into separate runtime and
> > >     developer components, which I believe IPS does.
> >
> > IPS doesn't do this either, at least not with the packages I've
> > worked with. I know the Joyent folks don't like IPS, but please
> > don't compare us to Linux that way. ;)
>
> That wasn't my intention.  Unlike a number of my colleagues I've not
> personally used IPS enough to form an opinion on it, and I was simply
> going on my naive understanding of the 'pkg search jdk' output, which
> suggested that the separate developer/runtime packages listed were a
> possible explanation for the size discrepancy.

Umnn, the last few times I installed my workstation with OmniOS for Java
development scenario, all I had to do was issue;
pkg install developer/java/jdk
and it downloaded a 35.5 MB package and installed it.
There were no references to anything like a separate JRE install.
This is the smoothest and fastest Java development system setup I've
experienced under any of the Unix-like systems I've worked on till date.

~Mayuresh

PS:
Yeah, I've fiddled around with my workstation running OmniOS a few times
to have caused enough damage to warrant a re-install. :)