[OmniOS-discuss] Boot from mirrored USB?

Ben Summers ben at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 11:54:50 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm speccing out some new hardware. It seems challenging to get vendor supported configurations which give you lots of discs on a Solarish OS, rather than using horrid RAID cards.

The best config I've found so far seems to be a Fujitsu RX200 with 4 internal 15k SAS discs (the internal supported card can only do 8 drives if you use RAID), plus a Fujitsu branded LSI controller connected to an Intel 3.5" JBOD array for bulk storage and maybe an SSD for ZIL.

Because I'd like to use all the internal discs for a database as a pair of mirrors in a single JBOD, I was wondering if anyone boots from USB discs?

The RX200 has a single internal USB slot for such things, and you can get some very low profile USB drives for an external port:

  http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/usb/drives/cruzer-fit/
  http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/dtmc_en.pdf

Would it be a sensible option to install OmniOS with a mirrored USB rpool? Zone roots would go on the internal discs.

Thanks for any advice and/or warnings,

Ben

--
http://bens.me.uk