[OmniOS-discuss] svc:/system/console-login:default wedges serial console

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Sep 3 04:11:03 UTC 2013

I'm trying to setup a serial console on a supermicro server and have run
into a bit of a problem with the console login.

It's the SOL port, which defaults to com3 on recent supermicro systems.
I was able to install off the serial port by specifying
"console=ttyc,ttyc-mode=115200,8,n,1,-" to grub, and that worked fine. I
also used the eeprom command to set the same variables for booting the
installed OS.

The OS boots fine, and I see the "SunOS Release 5.11 Version
omnios-b281e50 64-bit" banner, and as I have verbose booting enabled,
all of the services starting, until "[ system/console-login:default
starting (Console login) ]", at which point the console freezes. Logging
into the system remotely, "echo foo > /dev/console" results in nothing.

I tried disabling svc:/system/console-login:default, at which point the
system booted, and complained:

Requesting System Maintenance Mode
(See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
Console login service(s) cannot run

in the middle of the services starting. After the box booted, logging in
remotely and running "echo foo > /dev/console" resulted in "foo" showing
up on the serial console.

The console showed:

Enter user name for system maintenance (control-d to bypass):

If I typed the root username/password, the console logged me in and
worked fine.

But when I then enabled system/console-login:default, it printed "[
system/console-login:default starting (Console login) ]" and the console
wedged.

Any ideas why the console login process is wedging up the serial
console?

Thanks...