[OmniOS-discuss] file system organisation for pkg packages

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Sep 26 14:55:04 UTC 2013

Hi Eric,

Today Eric Sproul wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I have started to create packages for omnios and I am a bit at a
> > loss as to packaging 'standards' ...
> >
> > With omnios getting more popular, I think it would be a good move
> > to have some standards as to where things should go on the system
> >
> > good old
> >
> > /opt/X
> > /etc/opt/X
> > /var/opt/X
> >
> > come to mind
>
> I have tended to prefer the SysV style of /opt/<app> or /opt/<vendor>
> so that the entire application set is under a single top-level
> directory.  This makes it simple to avoid conflicting with apps from
> other sources, which dovetails with the OmniOS
> keep-your-stuff-to-yourself philosophy.

from a system management point of view I like to have a simple rule
to decide where the config is and where the 'data' is ...

so keeping the application in /opt/vendor is perfect for the static
part of the application ...

but having the configuration and the data in the same tree makes it
harder to know what is part of the distribution and what is part of
the application ...

I can obviously use symlinks to fix things, but it would be great
if there were some admin friendly suggestions ...

cheers
tobi