[OmniOS-discuss] Using kayak to install on a partition instead of the whole disk

Kashif Salman kashifsalman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 20:40:46 UTC 2013

Hi, I am hoping to get some help with the kayak installer. I can boot okay
into the installer and it works fine if I use the whole disk. What I need
to do is create a partition and use that partition instead of the whole
disk. Looking at the scripts in /kayak, those are the scripts that do
most/all of the work. Here is the steps I am taking..

Boot into the Kayak installer

  Instead of using "BuildRpool c1t0d0", I create the partition on the disk
which looks like this. I want to use 50% of the disk..

fdisk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0p0

             Total disk size is 19451 cylinders
             Cylinder size is 16065 (512 byte) blocks

                                               Cylinders
      Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
      =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
          1       Active    Solaris2          1  19450    19450    50

BuildRpool funciton just goes through the disk and creates the pool and
then calls the BuildBE function. So I create the partition and rpool
manually and run the BuildBE funtion.

Run the ApplyChanges funtions

Run the MakeBootable function - and this is where things don't go as
expected. Here is the output..

root at unknown:/kayak# MakeBootable
[2013/09/26-01:27:16] Making boot environment bootable
Activated successfully
Creating GRUB menu in /mnt
bootadm: failed to determine fdisk partition: /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p1
bootadm: failed to get grubsign for root: /mnt, device /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p1
Installing grub on /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p1
raw device must be a root slice (not s2)
Unable to gather device information for /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p1
Creating boot_archive for /mnt
updating /mnt/platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive
updating /mnt/platform/i86pc/boot_archive
Unmounted successfully

Specfically this is the probematic line
$ALTROOT/boot/solaris/bin/update_grub -R $ALTROOT

I have tried just using installgrub, a nieve attempt to find a workaround,
but it doesn't boot

root at unknown:/kayak# installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2
/dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0

stage2 written to partition 0, 283 sectors starting at 50 (abs 12594)
stage1 written to partition 0 sector 0 (abs 12544)
root at unknown:/kayak#

Any ideas?

Kashif