[OmniOS-discuss] Status of VAAI

Günther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Tue Aug 5 20:43:15 UTC 2014

I am a programmer but not for OS development but in the GUI/ usability area
otherwise I would help (can help with testing)

It is really a pity.  Ragarding storage and usability, Solaris and OmniOS is far better than
Linux that I use as well for my ZFS GUI. With the newest features that Nexenta integrates
into NexentaStor (beside VAII this is SMB2 and failure management on slow disks), Illumos
has the ability to be the number 1 storage OS - even in the OpenSource or low-cost  area,
better than BSD or Linux.

If Nexenta would give Illumian more love, it might become the leading free Illumos distribution
but I do not expect that this will happen. The other „big players“ like Delphix, Joyent or
OmniOS seems to have no interest  in such storage features as well as improvements in
encryption (hey we need this)

Gea/ napp-it.org