[OmniOS-discuss] FTP server leaving illumos. Replacement suggestions?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 16:36:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2014, at 11:08 AM, Eric Sproul <esproul at omniti.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Richard Elling
> > <richard.elling at richardelling.com> wrote:
> >> sftp is there

Which is a completely different protocol.

> > +1.  FTP is more and more a legacy/niche service.  The world has moved
> > on and there are better ways of distributing files, like sftp or even
> > http/https.

My experience is that most of the world hasn't moved on, much
as we would like it to progress. Personally, I'm often asked to enable
file uploads for average users, and the client capabilities usually
force the use of ftp. And fortunately, enabling basic ftp service
is currently trivial.

(Note that I'm talking about use inside the organization. For proper
customer-facing service, you would always run a dedicated server.
Again, the real world makes extensive use of ftp.)

--
-Peter Tribble