[OmniOS-discuss] deleting zfs filesystems with holds in place

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Aug 13 02:27:03 UTC 2014

I had already confirmed -r didn't work, neither does -R:

# zfs create export/user/testit
# zfs snap export/user/testit at testsnap
# zfs hold testhold export/user/testit at testsnap
# zfs destroy -r export/user/testit
cannot destroy snapshot export/user/testit at testsnap: dataset is busy
# zfs destroy -R export/user/testit
cannot destroy snapshot export/user/testit at testsnap: dataset is busy

Matt confirmed on the ZFS mailing list that there's currently no way to delete a file system with held snapshots other than enumerate the holds and explicitly releasing them :(.

Thanks...