[OmniOS-discuss] High Availability and clustering on OmniOS

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Aug 28 11:26:31 UTC 2014

28 августа 2014 г. 12:24:17 CEST, Theo Schlossnagle <jesus at omniti.com> пишет:
>It depends on what services you are intending to make highly available.
>We
>do this got load balancing, http acceleration and nat using vippy. It
>is
>not really suited toward making services like NFS fail over.
>On Aug 28, 2014 4:47 AM, "Vincenzo Pii" <piiv at zhaw.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> What software/technologies can be used on OmniOS to get an
>active/passive
>> setup between two (OmniOS) nodes?
>>
>> Basically, one node should be up and running all the time and, in
>case of
>> failures, the second one should take over transparently.
>>
>> Is the IHAC project (https://www.illumos.org/projects/ihac) still
>alive
>> or forked and maintained somewhere else? When trying to access the
>> Repository I get a 404...
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Vincenzo.
>>
>> --
>> Vincenzo Pii
>> Researcher, InIT Cloud Computing Lab
>> Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW)
>> http://www.cloudcomp.ch/

Probably, something of the kind might be done by serving the applications/databases/etc. from local zones, hosted along with HA data on storage equally available to two head-nodes.

Then the failover is about grabbing the pool, and starting the zones. Securely mastering the zfs pool, as well as STONITH and fencing is the tricky part.

Firing up the services (pool and zones and maybe VMs) is simple and can be SMFized to do in proper order as dependencies are met, I blogged on that with code snippets in OI/illumos wikis somewhere ;)

HTH, Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android