[OmniOS-discuss] UPS serial non-standard, WHY?

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 21:00:52 UTC 2014

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 09:04:11 +0100
Thomas Wagner <wagner at wagner-net.com> wrote:

> Michael,
> I can't say something on the serial connection.
> But I believe that some of the PINs like "carrier detect"
> are used to signal power conditions and in the other direction
> tell the UPS to power on or off.
> Maybe the "null-modem" case where the special cable from APC
> swaps everything.

It's not a proper 'null modem' (DTE) layout;  just pins 2 and 3 are
swapped.

http://www.networkupstools.org/ups-protocols/apcsmart.html

> About NUT, I compiled this for the SFE repository (RPM style
> build recipes).

Thanks but I'm going to bite the bullet and work out how to build the
packages I want in my own repository.  So far:  OpenLDAP and NUT, and
I'm sure there'll be more.  I'm going to have to do it at some stage.

Michael.