[OmniOS-discuss] FYI: Split-root installs are also applicable to OmniOS

Jim Klimov jim at cos.ru
Mon Dec 8 12:57:34 UTC 2014

 Hello all,

 Now that I'm playing with OmniOS as well, I am verifying my old Solaris/OpenSolaris/OI recipes with it. In particular, the "split-root installation" procedure worked flawlessly via copy-paste from my old article (now updated to smooth some non-critical rough edges):

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+Split-root+installation#Advanced-Split-rootinstallation-Upgrades

 Same caveats as before are applicable, i.e. that "pkg upgrade" which invokes "beadm clone" un-does much of the effort regarding dataset fine-tuning (compression/quota/... on components of the rootfs), so the script provided with the article is recommended as the way to clone the global zone BE.

 My other procedures (ZFS pools as SMF services, and Zones as SMF services) installed without apparent errors, but currently this box is a single-disk rpool-only machine without zones, so there was no practical testing of that part yet.

 On a side note, adding pkgsrc was a breeze, except that it does refer to some libraries like "/lib/64/libz.so.1" or "/lib/64/libxml2.so.2" - but creating corresponding symlinks to objects in /usr/lib/{amd64,} helped the installation. According to http://www.kdump.cn/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1325 just touching these FS objects would've helped ("These are pkgsrc deps, not linker deps") and anyhow ldd'ing the binaries refers to /usr/lib/... paths.

 HTH,
 Jim Klimov