[OmniOS-discuss] ipadm hangs on interface creation

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at JVM.DE
Wed Dec 10 19:23:32 UTC 2014

Am 10.12.14 um 20:12 schrieb Dan McDonald:
> You said it was ipadm earlier, not dladm.
Well, yes it was. I am sure that ipadm will now hang as well.
>> On Dec 10, 2014, at 2:07 PM, Stephan Budach <stephan.budach at jvm.de> wrote:
>> Ahh… here we go again…
>>
>> root at nfsvmpool01:~#  dladm show-linkprop -p mtu
>> LINK         PROPERTY        PERM VALUE          DEFAULT POSSIBLE
>> igb0         mtu             rw   1500           1500 60-9000
>> igb1         mtu             rw   1500           1500 60-9000
>> igb2         mtu             rw   1500           1500 60-9000
>> igb3         mtu             rw   1500           1500 60-9000
>> ixgbe2       mtu             rw   1500           1500 1500-15500
>> ixgbe0       mtu             rw   1500           1500 1500-15500
>>

>> root at nfsvmpool01:~#  pstack `pgrep dladm`
>> 23948:  dladm show-linkprop -p mtu
>>
>> What I did was to remove the ixgbe3 interface and try to set the mtu to 9216 like this:
> How did you remove the ixgbe3 interface?  With delete-phys?
>
>> dladm set-linkprop -p mtu=9216 ixgbe3
>>
>> I seem only to be able to kill dladm by killing it using kill -9 <PID>
> It may be hanging because you removed it.
>
> Generally speaking, you shouldn't remove hardware entities (vs. created entities like vnics, aggrs, etc.) with dladm.  They are harmless lying in the background, if you don't have them configured up with ifconfig or ipadm, you won't be using them.
>
> Dan

Maybe I have told things not clearly enough. I have created the
interface like this:

ipadm create-if ixgbe3
ipadm create-addr -T static -a 192.168.1.1/24 ixgbe3/v4static

This worked, but I wanted to change the MTU, so I deciced to remove this
config again:

ipadm delete-addr ixgb3/v4static
ipadm delete-if ixgbe3

Then I tried to set the MTU of ixgbe3 like this:
dladm set-linkprop -p mtu=9216 ixgbe3

I can't remember, if that already stalled, however, now dladm
show-linkprop hangs and it does need to get killed -9.

Cheers,
budy