[OmniOS-discuss] live lsi firmware upgrade P17->P19

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Thu Dec 11 18:30:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:

> I am looking at upgrading the firmware of our LSI HBAs to P19 since
> we suspect that our use of P17 is the cause for disk timeouts we
> are seeing every few weeks.
>
> I am wondering, is it save to flash the HBAs from a running omnios system,
> and if so, has anyone written some notes down on the process and
> tools to use?

I don't believe that is possible on a live system.  I have upgraded using
the Solaris sas2flash utility on a system with the pool exported.   The
last step of the flash function is to reset the adapter which fails
requiring the system to be rebooted.

What I haven't tried is disconnecting the SAS cables then applying the
update.   I suspect this may work, but is only a useful method if you have
redundant SAS paths and can do one HBA at a time.

These issues are why I run HA systems and can migrate my pools from server
to server and perform maintenance at a leisurely pace and confirm
everything is the way I want it before putting the server back in service.

-Chip