[OmniOS-discuss] Change Zone Hostname

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Dec 15 20:35:15 UTC 2014

> On Dec 10, 2014, at 7:45 PM, Alex McWhirter <alexmcwhirter at vantagetitle.com> wrote:
>
> I have a small cluster of servers hosting zones over multiple VLAN’s. I would like to name the zones so that they don’t run into naming collisions. For example, instead of “web0” i would like to name them “2049_web0” and “2050_web0”. The problem is that this set’s the hostname to “XXXX_web0”. Is there a way to change the hostname to be something different than the zone name?
>
> I had a look at /etc/nodname and it is an empty file when used in a zone.

Did you ask this earlier and I'm seeing a duplicate?  Or did someone else ask this?

You can have /etc/nodename override the zone's name for a given zone.  E.g. my "webserver" zone isn't hostnamed "webserver", because I have a different name in /etc/nodename for that zone.  You will have to reboot the zone, however, for the change to stick.