[OmniOS-discuss] latency spikes ~every hour

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Dec 17 21:16:37 UTC 2014

15 декабря 2014 г. 13:27:39 CET, Rune Tipsmark <rt at steait.net> пишет:
>ok I removed some of my SLOG devices and currently I am only using a
>single SLOG (no mirror or anything) and no spikes seen since.
>
>I wonder why multiple SLOG devices would cause this.
>
>br.
>
>Rune

One idea stems from old experience: there used to be two triggers to start a TXG sync, where cached (async) writes do actually get to disk: a timeout and a filled-up buffer. While the sync is underway, a system indeed feels locked, new i/o's are delayed, etc. In such cases the tuning was to decrease time or rather size limits, to make the txg syncs shorter and faster, though at risk of more fragmentation of on-disk data.

This is easily seen in iostat or zpool iostat as a considerable spike in write traffic (with your ram size, the metadata is probably cached and there are not many reads needed to complete the write), occurring regularly (i.e. 5secs).

Your hourly hiccups = backups starting up, maybe?

It may be that the mechanism or the tuning handles were changed in the past year or two in illumos-zfs, but it may be that your (unnamed?) distrp still has that behavior.

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android